Friday 2 September 2016

Assignment 1: Two sides of a story - Cousins

I took the opportunity of a weekend’s babysitting to create my first assignment. My own teenaged offspring love having their younger cousins to stay and relish in the excuse they provide to relive their childhood. Climbing trees and making dens are fast becoming a thing of the past so when it comes along, they grab it with both hands.
Great fun however comes with great responsibility; the other side of the story I have chosen to show is the passage from child to adulthood, those moments when the older children change from friend to carer. Such relationships change intermittently and often with such subtlety, no one notices. As evening draws in however, young ones tire and the caring role becomes more prominent.
A walk in a nearby village provided the backdrop for our photo-shoot; I knew from past experience that we’d find enough fun activities to show the brighter side of having cousins to stay. I wasn’t sure how many ‘carer’ moments would occur naturally so I prepared my models for a bit of acting. Despite moving around very quickly and getting in each other’s shots, I was really impressed with their willingness and ability to act out given situations.
On the way home, the youngest cousin brought some great opportunities for real life caring shots, as she grew too weary to carry on.
Although street photography is more commonly used in an urban setting, I took some of the learning from this genre for my assignment. I approached the task using only one lens, my 50mm, 1.8 prime for several reasons; Henri Cartier-Bresson believes that retaining a fixed focal length can help to develop an instinctive knowledge of how a photograph will look, 50mm producing images almost as the eye sees made this an obvious choice.
I chose a black & white format for my images in order to focus on the facial expressions and body language without the distraction of colour. I had chosen to take the photographs during the evening golden hour to add some interesting lighting. However, the change in light during the hour and movement between the shade of the woods and the full light of the riverside led to a set that didn’t feel cohesive. Converting to black & white solved any colour issues while slightly improving the effects of motion blur gained due to the slowly diminishing light. Working with a combination of young children and potentially moody teenagers meant that I had to work quickly and capture moments with limited time to think about settings and perspective. In some cases, I asked the children to pause or repeat a motion, however these images did not make the final cut. I felt that truly candid moments by far outweighed a technically perfect image.
My first set shows the four playing freely, good friends together:






The second set shows a change in dynamics as teenagers care for their younger cousins:





Evaluation:

Demonstration of technical and visual skills

Although I feel that most of my images are well balanced, I wasn’t quite prepared for the challenge of shooting in such low light with quickly moving subjects. This has led to some images having inadequate focus and motion blur, most notable in Leg up and Stones. Had I chosen a high ISO, the images may have had more grain but the blur would have been dramatically reduced. I made the decision to use black and white for these images due to inconsistent colouring due to reducing light and changing background.


Quality of outcome

I feel that the message is represented quite well in this set; the difference between friend and carer is subtle and can change in an instant but can be easily seen when comparing images such as Monkeys and Stones. The three final images show a clear narrative of a young child becoming too tired to walk.

Demonstration of creativity

In order to be true to my developing personal voice, I have chosen images that show active emotion and tell a story over those that are technically more perfect. Although some of the shots were set up, I have chosen those in which they look the most candid. For me, it is important to photograph who a person is rather than merely what they look like. For this, it is essential that they relax in order to show emotion in facial expression and body language. In order to achieve this, I encouraged the children to play and choose areas to be photographed. This method comes with technical risks such as motion blur but can produce more genuine, candid shots.

Context


This assignment has been produced using knowledge gained in my study of street photography, particularly that of Henry Cartier-Bresson. Aside from his views on the decisive moment, I used his approach of using only one prime lens. As well as retaining a fixed focal length can help to develop an instinctive knowledge of how a photograph will look.



Bibliography

Gibson, D. (2014) The street photographer’s manual. London, United Kingdom: Thames & Hudson.


Golden, R. (2008) Masters of photography: A complete guide to the greatest artists of the photographic age. United Kingdom: Sterling Pub Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment