Friday 2 September 2016

Assignment 3: A Self-portrait


I have always found it difficult to settle; I have studied many subjects from engineering to psychology, from computing to photography and have been equally erratic in my working life. The older I get, the more I realise that settling is not for me. Interests come and go and as one fades, there is always something more colourful just around the corner.

When more than one interest arises at once, things can become quite erratic; intensity, clutter and an overwhelming sense of not knowing where to look and what to do first can descend. Studying and working partly from home brings some overlap between elements as family life is drawn into both, while working at the school my children attend brings its own issues.
Sontag (2008) suggests that ‘photography reinforces a nominalist view of social reality as consisting of small units of an apparently infinite number – as the number of photographs that could be taken of anything is unlimited’. Sontag (2008)

Focusing not on several photographs of one moment but on several photographs of one person, myself, I have attempted to show a glimpse of my own personal reality. The five staged portraits show five of the main elements of me; not intended to be viewed in any order but more as an anti-narrative with no beginning, end or plot. They focus on my main activities in this precise moment; any of these elements could change if I chose a new career, finished my course of study or didn’t have time to exercise. Granted, I’ll always be a mum but as my children grow up and leave home, it will become less a part of my daily living.

Although these elements on the surface signify specific roles, poststructuralist thought could lead to many meanings being derived. The viewer may read the image as portraying characteristics; strict, thoughtful, creative, nurturing and fierce, the lens also hinting at an astute attention to detail. Read in this way, the elements acquire a more permanent role, as they are ingrained into ones personality, rather than being dependent on specific life choices.

The inclusion of coloured powder brings connotations of Hinduism, more specifically the Holi Festival of Colour. In Hindu art and Christian alike, the higher being is often placed at the top of the image while Earthly beings remain below. In the images below, Indra, God of Gods and Christ are looking down upon the mortals on Earth. The time at which I feel the most at one with myself, the most in touch with a higher self is out in the fresh air, surrounded by the beautiful colours of nature; the higher being in my image sprinkles colour on my world. Although I am not a follower of any religion, this part of the image hints at my Christian upbringing and love of yoga and meditation.  In order to make the ‘higher self’ appear more ethereal, I have added a white layer behind and reduced the opacity.


My earthly being placed bottom right is the ‘what I have become’ as a result of living those combined elements; the sparkly eyes and colourful face being the result of that sprinkling of colour from the higher self. In this conclusive element, I have aimed to reflect the colourful, quirky energy described by my friends and family.

The combined elements of life all work together to make us who we are; the colourful Earthly self is what I always aim to be, with a little help from the higher being.


Evaluation:

Demonstration of technical and visual skills

This project involved setting up and taking a selection of self-portraits and combining them into one image in Photoshop. Retrospectively, I think that this would have been easier if I had used a green screen or plain backdrop, however at the time of shooting, I thought that some of the background would be used in the images so shot in my garden. Each image then had to be cut out and pasted onto my background image. The background image has been given a slightly more ethereal feeling by reducing the opacity and adding a white layer behind. This also has the effect of making it appear more softly focused to aid layering, the colourful image at the front being the most in focus. Although there are a lot of colours in this image, I feel that the contrasting blues and pinks are well balanced around the image, giving a bright, vibrant feeling and echoing the roaring face at the centre.

Quality of outcome

Due to concerns from my tutor that my five elements may be read from left to right, I have clustered them together more in my revamp, hopefully allowing the viewer to read this part of the image as a whole. In order to rebalance the image, I increased the size of the five elements and cropped in closer. I feel now that the image is easier to read as the higher self behind, the earthly self in front and the five elements that make up parts of that self in between. 

Demonstration of creativity

There is a lot of me in this image, both literally and metaphorically. True to my developing style, the image is colourful, natural and showing some of the active emotion involved in the differing activities that make up my life. In order to portray the five characters, I used props and costume and took a moment to get into role before taking each shot.

The sense of clutter and not quite knowing where to look first is quite relevant to my life, reflecting my tendency to take on too much at a time. Having shown this image to friends and family, the main comment was that it is very ‘me’. I am quite sure that this image will not be pleasing to the eye for some, however this was never my intention.

Context


This assignment has demanded a much deeper understanding of the meaning behind an image than any of my past assignments. I have had the opportunity to really think about how the viewer might read this image as I gained knowledge on semiotics and poststructuralism.

Bibliography

Burkeman, O. (2014) This column will change your life: Stop being busy. Available at: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/19/change-your-life-stop-being-busy (Accessed: 10 January 2016).

Christopher Bolton (2012) Animating Poststructuralism. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a2dLVx8THA (Accessed: 10 January 16).

File: Dosso Dossi 022.jpg - Wikimedia commons (2010) Available at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dosso_Dossi_022.jpg (Accessed: 10 January 2016).

The Guardian (2015) Holi, festival of colours - in pictures. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2015/mar/05/holi-festival-of-colours-in-pictures-india (Accessed: 10 January 2016).

Hall, S. (2007) This means this, this means that: A user’s guide to Semiotics. LONDON: Laurence King Publishing.

e MORFES (2011) Surreal photography by Philippe Halsman. Available at: https://emorfes.com/2011/01/04/making-surreal-photography-before-photoshop/ (Accessed: 10 January 2016).

Roopa and profile, V. my complete (2012) HareKrishnaHareRama. Available at: http://harekrishnaharerama123.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/vamana-avatar.html (Accessed: 10 January 2016).

Schulte, B. (2014) Overwhelmed: Work, love, and play when no one has the time. United States: Farrar Straus & Giroux.

Short, M. (2011) Basics creative photography 02: Context and narrative. Lausanne, Switzerland: AVA Publishing SA.


Sontag, S. (2008) On photography. London: Penguin Classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment