Friday 2 September 2016

Assignment 2: Photographing the Unseen - Balance

For this project, I have chosen to represent balance. Balance as a concept is in itself unseen and therefore un-photographable, yet the effects of balance can be quite visible in many ways.

My models, Helena and Lisa provide monthly acro-yoga workshops, a form of acrobatic yoga in which one person creates poses and transitions while balanced on top of the other; this provides the initial definition of balance used for my project. I have also aimed to create physical balance in my images using elements of design such as symmetry and creating a balanced colour palette. The main colours in the images are the contrasting secondary hues of green and violet with accents of orange in Lisa’s hair.

To achieve balance:

Preparation and communication

A solid core

Strength and trust in equal measure

Off balance

Yoga is a holistic activity, which aides to balance the body, mind and soul; in order to balance physically one must first balance the mind. In acro-yoga, this is essential due to the acrobatic nature of the poses. I have aimed to emphasise the mental and emotional balance in my images. I attend Helena’s Hatha yoga classes weekly and for me personally, these benefits far outweigh the physical. Each week, I leave the class feeling calm, strong and centred and felt it vital to show this side of the practise in my images.

The ‘Gyan Mudra’ hand gesture directs and balances the flow of energy in the body.

While photographing the girls, I also noticed that the balance of power in the relationship was vital. Working in such precarious positions requires a high level of trust, mutual respect and communication. After practising some new poses and transitions, the girls finished with a familiar routine in which they didn’t speak at all, but worked together depending on trust and harmonised breathing. It was beautiful to watch, I hope I have portrayed some of that beauty in my images.
Trust


Support 

 
Strength


Harmony

Evaluation:

Demonstration of technical and visual skills

I feel that this assignment is greatly improved from the last due to improved lighting and better forward planning. I aimed to produce a set that is balanced in composition and colour to fit with my theme and I feel that I have achieved this. I am particularly pleased that I managed to capture a sharp image at the top of the jump in ‘Strength and trust in equal measure’. I am a little disappointed that the focus is not on the hands in ‘Gyan Mudra’, although I do like the composition of this shot. In ‘Preparation & Communication’, the image should feel unbalanced as the girls are placed to the right of the image, however I feel that it is the potential motion perceived that balances this image.

Quality of outcome

I am really pleased with the outcome of this set. I feel that I have represented balance of both the body and the mind as well as producing images that are balanced in colour, lighting and composition. Although the wider shots are essential to the set, I feel that the closer in images are the most successful, representing the finer details of physical and mental balance.


Demonstration of creativity

In my photography, I aim to create natural, emotive images and love to work with colour. The shot that I feel represents what I aim to achieve in photography is ‘Harmony’. I love that the hands are almost touching but not quite. When I see this image, I feel myself willing time to move on just a second so that the hands touch.

Context


During the learning for this unit, I was particularly inspired by The Dad Project by Briony Campbell. Her work on photographing her dad’s illness and eventual death gave me a much fuller understanding of photographing the unseen.

Bibliography

Angier, R. (2006) Train your gaze: (a practical and theoretical introduction to portrait photography). Lausanne: AVA Academia, Lausanne, Switzerland.

Campbell, B. (1986) The dad project Available from: <http://www.brionycampbell.com/projects/the-dad-project/> [Accessed 6 February 2015].



Drakes, B. (n.d.) Moments BILL FRAKES. Available from: <http://www.billfrakes.com/moments> [Accessed 12 April 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment